Sunday, March 16, 2008

Mean People Suck....

I find so often these days that after suffering from morbid obesity for so many years, there are not too many things that really cause me to sweat the small stuff.
Before pictures
After pictures
After dwelling in the negativity for so many years, I avoid it like the plague. Stepping back a bit from the discussion boards that were just for fun was a necessity because it hurts my heart.


Mean people suck....


It seems that even on the boards where we are supposed to participate....offering support and unconditional love...well, that's not always the case. It continues to amaze me what people will say behind the anonymity of a user name. It boggles the mind even further when you eventually meet them face to face and they are perfectly gracious, polite people...in person. Let them back to the keyboard and it's got me screaming "STOP THE INSANITY".

I try to spend time "paying it forward" on the obesityhelp.com board. I think it is such an important part of the journey of weight loss surgery success. Obesity Help has come up with a brilliant idea. When someone steps over the line, their thread or post is moved to "Rants and Raves". WOO HOO!! Even youtube has a rating system on the comments and you don't have to look at the negatively rated unless you want to. The psychological harm to new members looking for support and information is so detrimental when people are just plain mean. I dream of the day when this is unacceptable behaviour...either through some miracle of resetting our general mindset or maybe we could do an online equivalent to what the comedian Gallagher suggested several years ago. He said every driver should be issued a rubber dart gun with a "stupid" flag attached to each dart. That way when someone comes down the road with about 100 flags on their car...well you get it.

I hope that visual brought a smile to your face because it always made me laugh!

No comments: